A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a type of scanning test that uses magnets and radio waves to create images of the inside of the body. The magnets and radio waves create cross-sectional images of the abdomen, which allows doctors to check for abnormalities in the tissues.
Abdominal MRI Scan aids in the screening of Stomach,intestines (bowels), liver, gallbladder, pancreas, and spleen. Reproductive organs can also be screened. In men, these organs include the testicles, prostate gland, penis, and scrotum. In women, these organs include the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus (womb), cervix, and vagina.
You may be advice to undergo abdominal MRI if you are suffering from any of the symptoms below:
• abdominal or pelvic pain, or jaundice (yellowing of the whites of the eyes).
• high blood pressure, blood in the urine, and swelling in the abdomen
• Women who have painful monthly periods or heavy bleeding.
Before an abdominal scan inform your doctor if any of the conditions mentioned below are applicable to you:
• You have a medical device in your body that contains metal.
• You are pregnant
• You are allergic to iodine or dye.
• You have claustrophobia ( fear of small and closed spaces).